Saturday, January 20

What does your devil wear?

One sign of a good movie is that it makes you think. Another is great banter; I love banter - but that's a topic for another post.

I watched The Devil Wears Prada this evening. Meryl Streep ("nominated for 13 Academy Awards -- more than any other actress in history") is excellent as is usual - she's already pulled a golden globe and is a likely candidate for another oscar. The number one guy (played by Stanley Tucci), one Meryl's character actually called friend was excellent as well. I thought about what determines what we do in life, what we do to get ahead, how far will we go? In that thinking, I also thought of a more dramatic movie, The Devil's Advocate (Keanu Reeves, Al Pacino).

In Prada. I'm pretty much similar to Andy, fortunately I can claim the smart but also the fashion density. I wouldn't recognize Prada (one of the reasons the husband loves me :-)), even initally misspelled it, if it slapped me in the face. But what makes an Andy an Andrea. Should Andy's become Andrea's. It is not formulamatic in that you can apply the same solution to every person. But there are some key considerations that are across the board applicable. One also nees to recognize the theory of The Devil's Advocate - if at first he doesn't succeed, he try, try, tries again another way. Then one also needs to recognize that what one's devil wears is not always recognizable. Surely, an aspiring journalist would not suspect her devil to be sportin' Prada; maybe a Pulitzer Prize.

But, even still - is your devil the Devil or your own fleshly weakness? Flip Wilson's the Devil made me do it is very often not even applicable. We just need to do what is right rather than what we want to do. We need to stop convincing ourselves that what we want is right just because we want it. We need to ask, listen, and obey His will for us. By the way did you know that "WYSIWYG" is from Flip too - what you see is what you get!

At any rate, Prada is good. Watch and evaluate what you yourself would do - at the expense of your loved ones, your friend, your goals, God's will for your life.

Romans 12:1,2

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada. I found myself relating to Andy - I am more of a Target gal than a Nordstrom gal. ;) And Meryl Streep played that role absolutely perfect - I loved it.

    So, a la Miranda Priestly, That's all.

    ReplyDelete

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey