Sunday, January 28

Weider to lose or not to lose; that is the question ...

ok, the Weider is not here. The Team Brown promised it Thursday; but no. And then Friday; but no. Still its okay. It would have been a great time to have it put together; but, as it ended up, I was not up to starting the program. So, God willing, it will arrive tomorrow. And as I mentioned, the garage is clean. Salvation Army is picking up on Wednesday, and the rest not thrown away as sheer junk is going to the Agape House or to some friends that make trips to Mexico to help children there. It is a good thing we are doing.

But today, right now, I'm putting myself out there. This morning my weight was 203.6. Yes, there's no typo there, sadly. I'm pretty tired of looking at myself. No, I'm not here to whine. I'm here to do something about it and, win or lose, I'm going to be honest. I have made a goal to lose 20 pounds. When I made the goal (last week) my starting weight was 193.9. So ... obviously I'm not heading in the right direction currently and my goal has increased. However, one of the factors is let's say a cyclical hormonal thing, so I truly expect it to cycle down next week; we'll see.

Anyways, I've secured the Ace to be my accountability buddy; we'll do that mutually. She's honest and encouraging and works in the health industry. Sometimes people compete - make bets and such - and while that can be highly motivating, I think this way is less stressful. It's similar to independent study rather than a 'race'. As such, I don't currently have a deadline, only a determination to meet the goal. I tried to make that goal reasonably attainable so as to not have it be self-defeating. Obviously, I need to lose more than 20 pounds; but I'm making this a step project. God deals with us that way - from glory to glory to glory. The idea is to work out and lose weight and incorporate better eating habits as I go along. I've mentioned that this is my most favored means of exercise, although I didn't mention that I love swimming which is an excellent non-stress form of recreation. Still, currently I don't have the means to take advantage of that form. Sooo ... its Weider time!

The Google page offers add-ons from which I chose The Google 15, a means in which I can track my weight. Currently it is telling me Danger! You're heading away from your goal! Although the plan is to weigh in every day for the most part, I will post an average which the program provides. It helps you visualize and keep track of your progress - it has a chart even. I made the initial measurement 1/17. The average one week ago was 194.3. Let me just say that a daily weigh-in can be counter productive and I'm not concentrating on those numbers, but rather the average. But the better gauge I will be paying attention to is inches - that will be the most telling. Weight gain (not in this case) can be due to fat decrease / muscle build among other things. Muscles weigh more than fat. However, if true body improvement is taking place the inches will tell the story and gradually the weight will correspond.

The plan is to workout on the home gym and the exercise bike and improve my eating habits. Not only should I lose weight, but I should improve my blood pressure and cholesterol, my overall physical health and stamina, and possibly abate any hereditary diabetes. So begins my weight loss journey. I solicit your support and prayers along the way.

'What can Brown do for me'? Deliver! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I'll be sure to keep you in prayer. :)

    The scale has been giving me numbers I don't want to see either. And while I don't think I'm brave enough to announce the exact number to cyber space, I will say that it isn't too far off from yours. I've also learned recently that my BMI is ranking me in the "obese" category. That's really scary. Obese?! It almost made me want to cry. (But I do that a lot, you know.) ;)

    So I'm trying to keep with my primary so-called resolution and live a healthier lifestyle. I've even considered checking out my local Weight Watchers meetings. I agree with you - I'm tired of looking at myself like this. (And although my husband would never admit it, I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing a little "less" of me too.) Truth is, I deserve to treat myself better than this.

    Dear God, I don't want to be a lazybones! Please forgive me for those times when I fail to keep the body You gave me in good shape. Thank You for giving me muscles, and breath, and the ability to dance, walk, and swim. Thank You for the gift of exercise and for all its benefits. Help me not to neglect this precious gift. It takes work, Lord. And sweat. It's hard some days to get motivated. But Lord of my body, today I choose to follow You and to do what is hard. I ask You to bless my efforts. Empower me when I am weak, inspire me when I lose sight of the goal, and help me to enjoy the gift of movement. Amen.
    -A Prayer for Power from The Dieter's Prayer Book.

    ReplyDelete

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey