Thursday, November 1

the road not taken

I'm on a new path - I'm going back to school to complete an undergraduate degree. It's been on my mind over the years, but all of the sudden the time seems right. The husband had my back which was very encouraging and re-assuring; it means a lot to me. There's a big mountain ahead pulling this altogether - something more than clicking my heels; however I'm on the yellow brick road.

Having made this decision and beginning the discovery path of getting a game plan and putting it into play, something happened. My supervisor announced her retirement - I'm in direct line for her position; but a BA is a highly weighted criterion. Well the pre-season game plan was to test the waters and get comfortable with the temperature. Now it seems that a more accelerated approach is necessary if in the process I would like to acquire this position.

I contacted a career counselor at work and she has put me in a mentoring program and provided me with intel for getting the schooling into place. The mentor who accepted taking me on as a protege was and my first choice and someone I regard highly personally and professionally. Too, the counselor confirmed my game plan and re-affirmed my choice of academic focus. I feared that I should have a bent strictly toward what would benefit the position, but she encouraged that I pursue whatever my own passion was.

Whether I get this position or not, I am well on my way into something that has been a long time coming. I'm jazzed! Now I know the yellow brick road was laden with difficulties along the way. Still the knowledge that I am on my way is quite satisfying. I feel like I just was called 'off of the bench'. Shelz, go on, get out there! Whew, there's so much to do; gotta go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey