Sunday, November 18

How does my garden grow?

I don't know about silver bells, cockle shells, and pretty maids, but how about these specimens. I am certainly no green thumb, but over time I have a few plants I'm proud of.

The first is my newest addition this spring. Hanging my head, I have to admit that she replaces a beautiful yellow hibiscus my dear neighbor and friend (we yell across the street to each other 'hey baby'!) gave me and it died of thirst due to neglect in my care; I was so ashamed! I should have removed it from the container and planted it in the ground.

I also have a favored orange variety - I believe the 'desert wind' (now isn't that an awesome name) that is particularly lovely, however not in bloom at the time of taking these pictures. I picked up these specimens at Trader Joes - they have a wonderful assortment of flowers and they deliver too!

Then I have my roses. This velvety orange rose I found at a nursery not far from the house. My guess is it is like the bright fire rose - A modern climber ... blooms of orange vermillion ... foliage is tough and large ... a real powerhouse of a plant. Coral or orange roses denote enthusiasm and desire. Check the link for meanings designated to the color of other roses like the pink variety below.

One of the things I like to do when I have time is support the local nurseries. While I also look in Home Depot and Target and even the floral department of Stater Bros., my favorite places to wander are Trader Joes' during the week and these local nurseries who have a far more varied selection, better than comparable prices and guess what - no sales tax. There are several in the Riverside/San Bernardino areas. I've used one just up the street. There's one in Riverside where I acquired a nice white star jasmine plant, now located under my front window so its lovely scent can come wafting through on summer breezes.

This bud, which came from another nearby nursery, becomes this georgeous bloom. I believe it is the ‘Kordes Magenta’ - a moderately vigorous shrub bearing flowers of an unusual shade of lilac-pink to mauve with a good fragrance. I also have a regal violet variety I'll share next time, also acquired nearby.

I have a favorite quote from the movie made of Alice Walker's 'The Color Purple' -
Shug: I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it. More than anything God love admiration.
Celie: You saying God is vain?
Shug: No, not vain, just wanting to share a good thing. I think it pisses God off when you walk by the colour purple in a field and don't notice it.
Celie: You saying it just wanna be loved like it say in the bible?
Shug: Yeah, Celie. Everything wanna be loved. Us sing and dance, and holla just wanting to be loved. Look at them trees. Notice how the trees do everything people do to get attention... except walk?
[they laugh]
Shug: Oh, yeah, this field feels like singing!
In fact, as I recollect, in Terry McMillan's novel 'Waiting to Exhale', Savannah reveals her favorite colors are red, orange, and magenta - I so agree! In the movie, you see the ladies walking out of church, each wearing one of these colors while the fourth wears white - which is an exquisite bloom, itself.

I would not be so bold to say I'm a gardener, and I hate (while at times oddly therapuetic) weeding - its existence and removal). Upon reflection, while it's to our own therapuetic value, weeding is probably not a favorite activity of God's either. I boldy do say God has allowed me a little beauty in the garden of my corner of the earth!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey