Sunday, May 20

Decoration Day?

Why do you celebrate Memorial Day? I used to confuse the purpose with Veterans Day - some how in my mind they were synonomous with people who had passed away and with those doing so serving our country. Too, heretofore, not many people I knew had passed away. I look at holidays more particularly now; when I grew up I took them for granted as a day off to have fun. I want to and for my children to understand the significance of what we commemorate and celebrate.

Answers.Com indicates "in addition to remembrance, this is also a time for picnics, family gatherings, and sporting events. Some Americans view Memorial Day as the unofficial beginning of summer and Labor Day as the unofficial end of the season. The national Click it or ticket (CIOT) campaign ramps up beginning Memorial Day weekend, noting the beginning of the most dangerous season for auto accidents and other safety related incidents. The USAF '101 Critical days of summer' also begin on this day as well".

Here's where some confusion comes in - "some Americans use Memorial Day weekend to also honor any family members who have died, not just servicemen". In particular, "the Southeastern United States celebrates Decoration Day as a day to decorate the graves of all family members, and it is not reserved for those who served in the military." It is too a day of presenting American flags. "Christian Church services on the Sunday prior to Memorial Day may include a reading of the names of members who have died during the previous twelve months."

Well the United States federal holiday we celebrate the last Monday in May is Memorial Day, also known as Decoration Day. Originally held (1868) in commemoration of soldiers killed in the American Civil War, its observance later extended to all U.S. war dead. The History Channel says "Memorial Day is much more than a three-day weekend that marks the beginning of summer. To many people, especially the nation's thousands of combat veterans, this day, which has a history stretching back all the way to the Civil War, is an important reminder of those who died in the service of their country."

The White House Commission on Remembrance has free songs at its Web site entitled the National Moment of Remembrance Home Page. One can download different renditions of the song "On This Day" by Charles Strouse, as well as Taps. Many others have contributed works for Memorial Day, including other famous songs and poems.

My father, who passed away in 1980, served in the Korean war - a defining time in his life being a springboard to the intelligent and multi-talented man I knew. One of his talents was being musically inclined - being able to play numerous instruments; while in the army he was a bugler. My mother passed away December 2005; I still can't believe she's gone - she must be at my sister's and I should call her, you know!?! The husband's parents passed in recent years, his father too a brilliant man who also served his country.

With understanding about this day now, personally I will remember these people this Memorial Day and I will give thanks to God for their being in my life and for the family that I have here with me. I will celebrate too, as we sojourn on this planet until we believers too go on to our heavenly home, that by the grace of God someone more may be going with me as I live to witness Jesus. Now that is really something to celebrate!

May you have a blessed Memorial Day celebration and reflection with the sweetness of recollection and the hope of a heavenly reunion and may God bless all those who put their lives on the line for their countrymen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey