Saturday, September 30

Meet Me at the Fair

Whew! I haven't been since I can't remember (and don't want to) when ! It had been one of those days with a trickle down effect that threatened to dampen any effort of enjoyment. With a major sig alert, that way-laid an earlier rendezvous beginning a 'Series of Unfortunate Events' - I wondered whether and even doubted that we would make it to the fair. But in the midst of misfortunate, it is good to remember God's fortune, one of which for us was that we had some dear friends who were blessed with complimentary tickets to the fair with which they blessed us. And so, we did make it to the fair and we had a great time.

Growing up in the vicinity, the Los Angeles County Fair, everyone knows (whether they go or not) it is the crowning event that officially takes us from Summer to Fall in the most celebratory way. This was the last weekend which seemed to heighten things in and off itself. So off we went the husband and I, and our youngest to hook up with my ace boon coon (aka sista gyrlfriend), and her son. Oh my goodness, I cannot believe the parking! And we went late (5ish), so the options were limited to general, alleviating VIP and a middle range (sigh) - of course that meant we were in outer Siberia. And so the walking began.

We wandered through the fairgrounds assaulted with wonderful sights, sounds, and smells (from southern to petting zoos). We sampled cherry lemonade (and are now proud owners of fair cups), hot dogs on a stick, potato chips, and onion rings. That was reasonable fare - one could have such as a fish and chips dinner (and I mean one fish) in the range of $9 - oh no! I wonder what the BBQ cost. My ace, her son, and ours went down the huge slide. The husband captured the moment photographically while I held her son's blown up spider man. We did goofy things. We also trapsed through the home and garden section and other areas, and I'm sure (even though our aches and pains might argue) we missed a lot. The kids were troopers even on the long trek back to the car! It was a wonderful evening even though we were missing the husband of my Ace. Now, we are already planning how to optimize our experience next year, God willing, when we all will be able to go!
"Meet me in L.A., A.L. (St. Louis, Louis), meet me at the fair, don't tell me the lights are shining any place but there; ... If you will meet in L.A., A.L. (St. Louis, Louis), Meet me at the fair" - from the musical Meet Me at the Fair which included Scatman Crothers.
The fair helps you see the area it represents in a more expansive way. Looking outside the box of our mind is always a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the huge slide!! :) Oh, the fair...

    Hey, I like the new blog additions. :) Scripture is always good. And I like to see what sites sap up other people's time. ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:58 PM

    "Looking outside the box of our mind is always a good thing"

    Yeah, but you'll probably live longer if you look outside of that box without walking 100 miles around the fairgrounds...

    *ROTFL*

    ReplyDelete

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey