Wednesday, October 17

You Are Worthy Doe

I'm often prompted to pray for the people in an accident when I hear of or pass one by - the people, their families and friends. That is not the case here, although I was driving home the day of this accident and heard about it on news-radio. It had happened earlier but traffic on the freeway in that area was still disrupted. But the fact that I received no prompting doesn't mean that God wasn't at work - He doesn't really need me anyway! This accident didn't effect me, bother my traffic conditions, nor require my prayers - or did it? What is surprising all the time is however remote to my own life something may seem to be, the fabric of it may be stitched more closely to me than I think. I take that wee bit of information and apply it to everything I observe.

Today my sister in the Lord, colleague, and fellow-commuter, shared with me about her nephew. Her sister had been called back from a cruise because her son had been in a serious accident and not likely to survive - the earthbound powers that be were going to try and keep him alive about 48 hours to give her time to get back.

He was at work driving what they call a light truck when the big rig jack-knifed in front of him and he was unable to avoid slamming into it. His vehicle became engulfed in flames and he was trapped inside for at least some 20 minutes. Although ladies, unable to themselves extricate him from the vehicle - the steering column had come forward and pinned him inside - screamed to nearby officers for help. A passerby who walks with the Lord heard the screams of the ladies and clearly the directive to circle back and assist the person he saw was trapped, and was able to remove him from the inferno. Immediately thereafter there was a final explosion - and if the picture is still with the story under the link, you can see how the vehicle faired. He, himself, had 3rd to 4th degree (to the muscle) burns and was rushed to UCI burn center where he is now under the care of the chief of staff.

He, himself, had a relationship with the Lord where he felt unworthy; after all, he had mis-spent times of his life. At UCI he was given his prognosis, and he gave a call to his brother and one more person - he was urged to have a good talk with his Maker. Now in the midst of organs shutting down, smoke burned lungs breathing being assisted, skin grafts healing, comatose, among a myriad of symptoms, he hangs on with a wing and a prayer of many. A police officer, maybe one of ones standing by possibly following procedure, came by to share with the mom don't think me a hero 'but I was able to pull your son to safety'. However, the ladies who screamed for the young man's life, the gentleman who obediently came back for him, and his mom constantly, are often there in support.

Who is to say that this young man in the prime of his life is in God's plan to go on with his life which will include months and months of healing or to go home to the Lord. Only God knows. But the Lord brought those ladies, and that man, and has miraculously sustained him to date.

Because of the HIPAA laws, the hospital listed him with a fictitious 'Doe' name to protect his privacy. Not ficticious to God, this man who felt unworthy of the Lord, by the grace of God was called 'Worthy Doe'.

My prayers are with you Worthy, and with your family! God bless the agape obedience of those who were there for what He considers of worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey