Monday, October 22

Fire Roasted Veggie Sausage & Meatball Yumm

Let me capture this while I can remember it. I made a dish tonight that was a grand success. I'm going to suggest it for an intimate dinner of 4; but use it as you like. I bought a little while back from Trader Joe's a 16 oz. frozen package of Fire Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Butter sauce - sounds good, huh? It consists of red and yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, haricots vert (green beans LOL), onions and whole mushrooms with a roasted garlic, peppercorn, spice infused balsamic butter sauce. I was moved by the description and so I bought them. Tonight it came to me - this is what you could do with them.... I actually made an intimate dinner for two, but I've adjusted this for four because it was too much food. Do the math if you just have two.

Okay, so what I did is I took four italian sausauge which we happen to keep around because we love it. But for this recipe here's the deal - use 1.5 to 2 sausage per person. What we had was frozen so I thawed it in the microwave. In a skillet I heated up some canola oil (use olive oil if you prefer) for stir frying. When it was hot I added the sausage. I seasoned the sausage shaking over the meat McCormick Grill Mates Garlic & Onion medley seasoning along with their Barbeque seasoning (we had picked these up in Hawaii), and a dash of powdered cayenne pepper. As the sausage begins to cook, I cut them in about 5 slices per link.

Then I added frozen meatballs (2-3 per person - I used the frozen italian-style heat & serve beef meatballs we get from Costco, continuing to stir fry. Near done, I add some chopped onion. With that I add 2 packages of the fire roasted vegetables. As it stir fries on high flame and nothing is no longer frozen, if you like add a tad of wine and, I sprinkled some white flour over the mixture and stirred. All the while, I'm covering with a lid in intervals to insure thorough though flash stir fry cooking. You should end up with a vegetable sausage and meatball masterpiece in a wonderfully tasty sauce.

Add to this some rice - I used left over chicken-flavored rice; you can use plain rice even; it should be fairly neutral as the dish is quite tasty, letting it simmer till warm. Serve in attractive bowls and you have a deliciously quick meal to delight the taste buds. The husband loved it and so did I! This was simply flavorably veggie yumm! The vegetables were equisitely delectable and the meat succulent. A Norman two thumbs up!

Requires:
Canola or Olive oil for stir frying
1.5-2 Italian Sausage per person
2-3 italian-style heat & serve meatballs per person
1/3 cup chopped onions
2 16-oz packages fire roasted vegetables with Balsamic Butter sauce
optional wine
1/3 cup flour
optional rice (up to approx. 1 cooked cup per person) - can be mixed in or served on top of.

Oh my goodness, did I come up with a winning recipe? Awww! What was I thinking? If I were the dahli, I would of captured it on film; sorry! It was a lovely sight as well - worthy of a potluck or special events. Me, I'm thinking finger food mid-eastern style with the husband over candlelight - yeah! Fire-side fire-roasted frivolity!

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I was totally thinking, "Where's the photo?!?!" :) Sounds quite tasty - we'll have to try it out sometime. Although I'll have to pick out the mushrooms - Micah and I DO NOT eat fungus. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey