Saturday, February 10

super nachos bowl recipe

I'm not good on amounts so gauge your ingredients.

Ingredients:
  • chicken - I used boneless chicken breast
  • tortilla chips - buy a party bag and you'll have some left over
  • frijoles (refried beans) - I used 16 oz. You can buy spicy or not, fat free or not - you choose
  • velveeta cheese - recommend the mexican flavor, or regular or 2% milk - 1 or 2 of the smaller package - or a mix (just like I did the beans)
  • one jar of salsa - at least 8 oz.
  • For additional toppings, you may want: sour cream, guacamole (don't buy the cheap slimy looking ones), serano peppers (tip - never wipe your eyes after touching them) sliced if you want to be able to find them or diced or olive (I abhor those and don't use them myself)
Preparation: The meat - I did this the night before and then stored in a baggy overnight. Slice up and stir fry the chicken (with a little olive or canola oil). Season as you choose - I used garlic powder and cilantro. You can also use taco seasonings. Just monitor your flavoring - you don't want everything spicy flavored. The key is to enjoy the unique tastes of things.
The cheese - melt it or cut in small squares for spreading.
The spread - use the largest microwavable plate you have and cover the bottom with chips. Proceed to layer the rest of the items (excluding the salsa, guac and cream - these do better not being microwaved). Alternate chicken, dollups of beans, cheese either poured or pieces spread, and the optional pepper slices, and then repeat the layering process until you reach a reasonable microwavable height.
The melt - then heat in the microwave in the oven until you see the cheese and beans soft and sizzling.
The presentation - you should have a mountain of chips that can be selected covered in the toppings. You can add dollops of the sour cream and guacamole, or you can provide individual dishes of those that can be applied according to individual taste.
The alternative - you can make individual servings creating saucers of the layered items to be microwaved and handed out. This is easier for individual eating, but takes more time serving. There's a lot of room for creativity.

Hope you enjoy. It was a rave at our superbowl party.

Released just in time for the pro-bowl the basketball all star weekend. ;-) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'll just imagine myself eating these as I don't think they would contribute to my weight loss. ;) But they sound SOOOOO yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey