Monday, April 28

an HP relay

Last night ended a series of Harry Potter viewings. We have a nice little clasped case that holds five years, an interactive game, HP bookmarks, bonus DVD and more. Prior to this I had only seen most of one. We still have to go through the 'extras' on the DVDs.

The husband came across "Harry Potter and the Way of Jesus" in the Banner, published for the CRC by Faith Alive Christian Resources, a member of the Associated Church Press and the Evangelical Press Association. I confess although I linked it here for reference, I haven't read the article yet. According to the husband however, as part of his sermon this past Sunday, the author J.K. Rowling is a christian. I wasn't aware of that. I recall all the hoopla about the books not to long back and the question of whether christians should even entertain this fantasy around sorcery. I leave that for a christian grounded in the Word, like myself and the husband, to decide for themselves. I know that some so grounded would conclude differently than I, some aligning it with the stuff one should flee. I constantly examine the issue, aware of how seductive things of darkness can be, especially for the children. If in fact you cannot prepare or arm, protect! FLEE!

While the husband and I participated in the relay, we waited until the youngest was indisposed to view it. Of the mind that we should not so much shield our children from this world, but arm them for it, we nevertheless feel that he'll need to reach a certain age of readiness to prepare him for all that the realm of sorcery entails and how its role in this 7-book series. Probably before the final two years become films, he will be ready.

So the two of us watched years one through five - The Sorcerer's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets, The Prisoner of Azkaban, The Goblet of Fire, and The Order of the Phoenix. As the story follows Harry Potter in these years at academy, like his age they become increasingly sobering. They deal with loss of loved ones, of aloneness, of friendship - the bond and its strengths and its struggles, of abandonment, of responsibility, of the triumph and trump card of love, and the usual good and evil, and so many of the things a child may experience as prepares for an adult life. There were some intensely spiritual moments. For these reasons and because it was so very well done, I thoroughly enjoyed the DVDs. Each one always captures your attention in the opening segment of the story. The serial does an excellent job of maintaining characters and introducing new ones, developing a story that is consistent while intertwining into the lives of this array of people in Potter's world.

I hope that you have a chance to read the article, I know I'll get around to it, and to enjoy the the Harry Potter series in one form or another. For me, its similar to the likes of the Lord of the Rings lore, and Lewis' Narnia - I love good storytelling. For the sure-footed who enjoys fantasy genre, this is 'good stuff'. I look forward to sharing it when the young one develops feet of doe. Meanwhile, we'll settle for the Prince Caspian premiere in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey