Thursday, October 12

Reformation Day

Once upon a time way back when, in the 1500's, the Christian belief was centered around priests who conveyed what the Word of God (deliberately maintained in Latin) was to the believers which had over time drifted into schools of thought and practices that expanded upon the original scriptures. So people were believing things like they had to earn their way into Heaven, even earn the way for their relatives that had passed on before them. A method of earning the way was called 'indulgences', which generally involved money from which the Church gained a vast portion of its support (as if we could buy a way into Heaven).

There was a man who became a monk and an excellent student of the Word of God. He realized that if salvation was based in Christ alone, these and other practices were incorrect based on the teaching of the Bible. One day, that particular October 31st, he nailed a paper to a wall that explained this for everyone to see. This was the beginning of a reformation of the Christian religion as it was then known, and only the beginning a enormous change now known as The Reformation. That day has become known as Reformation Day. In the church it is celebrated on the Sunday closest to it. This man, Martin Luther, went on to painstakingly translate the Bible so that all could easily read, study, and understand for themselves - not rely on the opinions of others for what it said (like so many of us depend on commentaries, pastors, prophets, radio/tv evangelism today)- as one of his many accomplishments. The freedom in Christ that he and others brought to the religion of the day came at the price of many, many lives.

PBS has indepth coverage of Martin Luther including some video clips and book and movie resources, well worth checking out. The movie Luther is an excellent, vivid, and interesting portrayal of the man and the times; I highly recommend it. From the movie:

"I cannot renounce all of my works because they are not all the same. First are those books in which if I have described Christian faith and life so simply that even my opponents have admitted that these books are useful. To renounce these writings would be unthinkable for that would be to renounce accepted Christian truths... The second group of my work is directed against the foul doctrine and evil living of the Popes, past and present... Through the laws of the Pope and the doctrines of men, the consciences of the faithful have been miserably vexed and flayed. If I recant these books, I will do nothing but add strength to tyranny and open not just the windows but also the doors to this great ungodliness... In the third group I have written against private persons and individuals who uphold Roman tyranny and have attacked my own efforts to encourage piety to Christ. I confess that I have written too harshly. I am but a man and I can err. Only let my errors be proven by Scripture and I will revoke my work and throw my books into the fire."

"So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!""

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey