Saturday, May 3

continuing in prayer for Barbara

I dedicate this to Barbara and to my two co-workers quietly fighting cancer as well, Joyce and Cindi, and to all who are called upon to bravely battle against this insidious disease. I am so glad my friends know our Christ Jesus. May the Lord give you strength and peace and above all victory!

TUESDAY, APRIL 29, 2008
Thanks for surrounding me with prayers yesterday as we went to see the surgeon. I truly felt the peace of God as I was there. I read the Psalms in my prayerbook while waiting and wading through the paperwork process and I felt calm when the surgeon came to talk to us. My oncologist had warned me that he did not think the surgeon would be able to help, hence he kept hesitating on the referral. However, the surgeon was straightforward and positive about what he COULD do to help me. He said I formerly had at least 20 sites of cancer in my liver and now there are 6 remaining. Those 6 are all on one side. He recommends cutting out that 1/2 of the liver. He says now is the time as my latest PET shows the cancerous activity beginning again. He feels the chemo. has gotten rid of the other 14 spots but these 6 are 'chemo. resistant' ie have mutated to avoid death by chemo. He said I need to be off the chemo. for one month to clear it out of my body so it will not interfere with the surgery. My last infusion was April 11 and I was suppose to have another infusion this Friday but now I may not. I see my oncologist tomorrow and Erik plans to go with me again so we can see what dr. thinks regarding the surgeon's recommendations. I could be headed for surgery mid-May or early June. YIKES and yet I have to say I am excited that there is something to be done vs. just being told to keep taking chemo. that obviously was beginning to loose its efficacy. The surgeon of course gave his grim statistics about people who have been through this before me. He said 85-90% will have return of cancer in the liver because although the 14 sites are gone, not visible to the scan, in reality they are still in there somewhere just microscopic so eventually they will revive and come back. Of course I am seeking your prayers that those spots will NEVER come back! I already believe that God has removed them! There remains one/two spots on my lung and the surgeon said we should plan on having the pulmonologist remove those surgically too. Soooo it looks like lots of cutting to be done on my body and I know I will go through fears but right now I can say that your prayers for guidance have been answered, your prayers for peace are working! I never would have been this brave w/out the angels God is sending to sustain me. Keep up the fight for us! I was actually smiling during the appointment, only to look at my sweet Erik and see tears brimming as he was once again faced with the fragility of my existence. That was actually the hardest part of my day. I hate this disease in that everyone suffers along with me. We all hurt together because we are one body in Christ. I will keep you updated as we know more. For sure we are going to need your continued support to get through this next surgery and beyond. Thank you all for your willingness to help us in this longterm battle! I love each of you dearly!! To God be ALL Glory. Barbara
FRIDAY, MAY 02, 2008
Here's the latest. Erik went with me to the oncologist on Wednesday afternoon and the dr. agreed with all that the liver surgeon had discussed with us. Sooo he cancelled my chemo. which I would have received today and he texted a message over to the surgeon that I am to be scheduled for surgery any day after May 11. We need specific prayer that the cancer will not grow during this one month break from chemo. , that we can get all the details of our life in order for this next surgery, and that the surgery will be successful and uncomplicated. It is all happening so fast but we know the presence of God in the midst of this journey. Thanks for standing with us as we claim my healing in Jesus' name!
If you in this struggle as well for yourself or someone else, Caringbridge looks to be an place of oasis to unload ones thoughts and gain the prayers of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fitness Footnote

'the highs and lows of' my Weight Loss Journey